From Inntalmilch to Milchhof Innsbruck and now Tirol Milch
The history of milk production in Tyrol is a story with many highs and lows. After many attempts with little or no success at the beginning of the 20th century, founding of the "Genossenschaft Milchverband Innsbruck" [Innsbruck Cooperative Milk Association] in 1935 was the real starting signal for structured development of Tyrolean milk production.
In 1939 this still very young cooperative bought the "Städtische Molkerei Innsbruck" [Innsbruck City Dairy]. This gave rise to the "Milchhof Innsbruck" dairy and the first foundations for proper provision in the province.
In 1943 a direct hit on "Milchhof Innsbruck" in the first bombing raid completely destroyed the machine building and claimed one victim. Production was paralysed and milk had to be distributed in its raw, unprocessed state for a long time. Despite all the difficulties faced during the war, it was still possible to maintain milk provision in the city of Innsbruck. After the war, milk deliveries fell sharply, making it difficult to maintain the supply in the city of Innsbruck.
From 1951 onwards, the business was subjected to further consolidation. "Milchhof Seefeld" was built, which passed into the possession of "Milchhof Innsbruck". The next few years saw a steep increase in milk deliveries as well as sales. Productivity also increased to the extent that the "Milchhof" production facility on Ing.-Etzel-Strasse soon became too small.
The end of the 1950s marked the beginning of planning for a new dairy.
Then in 1963 steps were taken from the confines of the city out into what was still an space at the eastern edge of Innsbruck and is now the district of Rossau. The modern and functionally well-equipped new building was the model for many dairies in Austria and abroad. It marked the transition from spatial separation of the individual departments to an open industrial building where most operations take place on one level.
Between 1969 and 1973 the catchment and supply area was expanded considerably. When the cheese dairies in Längefeld and Ötz were closed, the whole Ötztal valley came into the hands of "Milchhof Innsbruck". Furthermore, the dairy in Landeck in Zams was acquired, thereby extending "Milchhof Innsbruck's" catchment area to virtually the whole of the district of Landeck. As a result, the supply area encompassed the entire district of Landeck.
Finally, in 1973 "Milchhof Innsbruck" purchased the Imst teaching dairy, extending the catchment and supply area to the whole of the district of Imst. In 1975, an extension was added to the Milchhof building to accommodate garages and a vehicle workshop.
A key event on the way to becoming a business of an internationally competitive size was without doubt the merger of "Milchhof Innsbruck" with "Inntalmilch Wörgl" to form the company Tirol Milch in 1991. Further takeovers in the nineties, including the St. Johann dairy, rounded off the company's development into Tyrol's leading business in the field of milk processing and marketing.
2009/2010 was the year of location consolidation for Tirol Milch at the Wörgl facility and since 2011 Tirol Milch has been the second biggest plant and an important part of the Berglandmilch Group.
The new, ultramodern dairy has been operating at full capacity since mid-May 2014, making it the second largest cheese production facility in Austria.